Caramel Apple upside down cinnamon roll cake made with fresh gala apples, and drizzled with a homemade caramel sauce!Print
Caramel Apple Upside Down Cinnamon Roll Cake
- 2 tubes refrigerator crescent sheets (8oz each)
- 2 TBSP unsalted butter (melted but slightly cooled)
- 1/3 C brown sugar (light)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 package cream cheese (8 o(soft)
- 1/4 C sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Caramel Sauce Ingredients:
- 3/4 C sweet cream unsalted butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 C brown sugar
- 2 tsp light corn syrup
- 1/4 C heavy cream
- 2–3 Gala apples (peeled/ cut in 1/4 in slices)
- Prep cake pan with baking spray. Cut the parchment paper to fit the bottom of the pan. Before putting it in the bottom of the pan apply the baking spray. The baking spray will seal it in place. Set aside.
- Caramel Directions:
- Melt the sweet cream unsalted butter in the saucepan on medium heat, Slowly add the heavy cream. Stir in the sugar, salt, corn syrup, and vanilla. Continue to stir until the sugar dissolves. Allow it to boil for 2-3 minutes. (Or until it begins to thickePour half of the caramel sauce in the bottom of the cake pan. Set aside the remaining half for later.
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees.
- Cake Directions:
- Melt the 2 tablespoons of butter. Set aside.
- Whisk the brown sugar and cinnamon together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Using the electric mixer combine the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla. Set aside.
- Place the apple slices in the caramel sauce lined bottom of the cake pan.
- Start working with the crescent dough sheet. Lightly dust a sheet of parchment paper with flour. Carefully spread 1 crescent dough sheet on the dusted parchment paper. Seal the perforation (separated lineon the crescent sheet making a large rectangle. Repeat this step with the second crescent dough sheet.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture on the first prepared crescent dough rectangle.
- Begin to layer with the second prepared crescent dough rectangle on top of the first. Brush the melted butter on the second layer of crescent dough. Sprinkle this with cinnamon sugar mixture. Using your hands gently tap the dough to make sure that the cinnamon sugar sticks to the dough. Cut the prepared layers of dough into 1-inch wide stripes with a pizza cuter.
- Start to build the cake by rolling the first strip in a spiral placing it in the center of the pan. Carefully lift the second strip of crescent dough wrapping it around the center piece. Repeat this process by loosely adding the new strip where the previous one ended.
- Line the cookie sheet with parchment paper. Put the cake pan on the lined cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 60-75 minutes.(Or until the center has baked completely.) Make sure that the cake doesn’t brown too much by covering the top of the cake with a tent made out of foil.
- When the cake is done allow it to cool (in the pafor about 30 minutes. Invert the cake onto a serving plate to cool completely.
- Reheat the rest of the caramel sauce and drizzle it on top of the cake prior to serving.